March 3, 2014

Stealth Case for Google Nexus: What Comes Around, Goes Around

I usually don't make these types of posts on my blog but I was so thrilled with how this turned out I wanted to share it with my readers. I decided to make a stealth case for my Google Nexus 7 tablet so it looked like a regular book. I feel this turned out really well. It is made from a Blaise Pascal philosophy book (one of many philosophy books that I have).

As a friend said, switching from paper to electronic has been a struggle for me as I have always loved the smell of fresh ink in a newly minted book. At times it has been an emotional adjustment to adapt to the ever changing and morphing technological jumps in my life. They seem to be coming at a more accelerated pace the older I get. It seems as soon as something cutting edge hits the market, something else is already in the works to obsolete it.


I imagine Gutenberg and his printing press was cutting edge and a paradigm shift in his day also. In this struggle through this paradigm shift I suppose I've come to this half measure that is middle-of-the-road. Quaint but functional. Rustic and pastoral but also refined and modern. A little of the past and a little of the future. The truth is this is kind of a throwback if one knows their Scripture well enough and the use of a tablet for communication has a biblical precedence. I guess what comes around, goes around.

Luke 1:60-65 ~ [In the infancy narrative of Jesus and John the Baptist] But his mother answered and said, "No indeed; but he shall be called John." And they said to her, "There is no one among your relatives who is called by that name." And they made signs to his father, as to what he wanted him called. And he asked for a tablet [πινακίδιον/pinakidion: a writing tablet] and wrote as follows, "His name is John." And they were all astonished.

We are now in a day and age where many are leaning towards electronic mediums for writing and documentation. The joke was always, “We're going paperless.” This seems like it is now becoming reality. Schools are switching to whiteboards. People are buying electronic books on Kindle. Students are carrying iPads, Google Nexus', etc. I personally prefer the smell of fresh ink but trends are trends and as far as I can see, things like the newspaper are dead.


Not only do we have paperless Bibles now…much of the move to electronics also includes amazing amounts of Biblical information (much of which is free if you know where to look). Logos Software and every software you can imagine under now exist to exegete and study the Word. We can even download 100 year old books from people like Spurgeon among others right off of Internet Archive or Google Books into electronic PDF form. It wasn't like this even a few years ago.

This case and the Nexus also double as my Bible because the Nexus contains all my Bible versions including the Greek. So...in a tongue-in-cheek manner I selected Pascal because of his comment about a God-shaped hole...
“There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every person, and it can never be filled by any created thing. It can only be filled by God, made known through Jesus Christ.” - Blaise Pascal, Pensees
So I sit here smirking because I enjoy the immense irony in in the fact that I needed to carve out a Bible-shaped hole for my Bible in a book written by the a man (the man) that penned the above statement who, like us, needed God to fill his life to give it true meaning.  :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...